Avro Shackleton MR.2 WR963
Newly repainted in white, its original 1954 RAF Coastal Command scheme. Photographed at the Air Atlantique Ltd's Airbase, Coventry Airport, on 22 May 2011.
This maritime reconnaissance aircraft first flew on March 11, 1954 and entered service with Gibraltar-based 224 Sqn that October. It was retired in July 1991 as a Shackleton AEW.2 from 8 Sqn at RAF Lossiemouth, having flown 15,483 hours and made its last flight into Coventry on July 9, 1991.
At the time of the photograph, the number two engine was suffering from camshaft problems, but will be repaired, and in the meantime the other three engines are fit to run.
Picture added on 02 June 2011 at 09:51