Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer CC.2 XL993
Photographed in the National Cold War Exhibition, Cosford on 23 May 2011.
Built in 1958 by Scottish Aviation at Prestwick as a CC. Mk.1, c/n 528. One of 39 Twin Pioneers delivered to the RAF, which served with 6 squadrons in the transport, supply dropping, photo survey and casualty evacuation roles, and even as a light bomber.
12 June 1958 First flight
30 July 1958 to No. 22 MU, RAF Silloth, Cumbria.
30 September 1958 allotted to the first RAF Twin Pioneer unit, No. 78 Squadron, RAF Khormaksar, Aden. Originally flew in standard Transport
Command scheme of silver and white with blue cheat line and black serial numbers.
28 November 1958 Arrived in Aden. Coded ‘Y’; one of 8 ‘Twin Pins’ on unit strength by November 1958, providing support to the Aden Levies policing the Aden British protectorate.
6 December 1958 first operational sortie, transporting 1,100lb of supplies and passengers to the outpost at Dhala near the Yemen border, then back to Khormaksar.
1959 Flew supplies and passengers to the up country airstrips, plus the occasional casevac sortie.
16 January 1960 one of 3 aircraft detached to Sharjah to provide support for No. 22 Regiment, Special Air Service, making several reconnaissance flights.
4 March 1960 returned to Khormaksar.
16 June 1961 to No. 131 MU at Khormaksar; converted to CC.2 configuration and more powerful 640hp Leonides engines fitted.
24 November 1961 returned to No. 78 Squadron.
23-27 June 1963 assisted in the rescue of a 45 strong British services adventure training party who had strayed into hostile Yemen. On 23 June XL993 brought back the bodies of four of the group killed by the Yemenis.
Late 1964 Radfan area operations against Yemeni supported dissident Qutebi tribesmen north of Aden - XL993 had, uniquely, been modified to carry two Nord SS.11 wire-guided missiles on outboard underwing pylons, and flew two missile firing sorties, on 1 July and 28 July in the Khormaksar area.
25 November 1964 grounded for 6 months on major inspection with the end of the Radfan offensive following capitulation of the dissidents on 18 November 1964.
30 May 1965 last flight with No.78 Squadron.
6 June 1965 to No. 21 Squadron, Muharraq, Bahrain, this unit being renumbered from No. 78 Squadron and acquiring its aircraft; duties continued much as before.
27 September 1966 began flight back to UK for refurbishment; 2 October 1966 arrived at RAF Lyneham, Wilts, next day to No. 5 MU, RAF Kemble, Glos. for repair.
14 June 1968 displayed statically at the Royal Review at RAF Abingdon (where I first saw it).
September 1968 displayed at RAF St. Athan, Glam.
19 November 1968 returned to RAF Shawbury; presented to the RAF Museum.
6 February 1969 flown to RAF Henlow, Beds. for storage; struck off charge.
5 September 1973 allotted RAF Instructional Serial 8388M.
About February 1979 by road to the Aerospace Museum, RAF Cosford, Salop for display in its final brown/sand/black camouflage scheme.
3 August 1998 donated to the RAF Museum by MoD.
2007 Put on display in the new National Cold War Exhibition building, as seen here.
Picture added on 14 August 2011 at 10:14