Fairey Barracuda II DP872 nose section
Photographed on 19 April 2013 in Cobham Hall, the FAA Museum reserve collection at Yeovilton.
Part of a project to rebuild a whole Fairey Barracuda from the crashed remains of several aircraft; the predominant example of these, and the intended finished identity of the airframe, is DP872. This was a Barracuda Mk II built by Boulton Paul, being ready for collection on 14 July 1943; it was taken on charge of 769 NAS at ‘HMS Peewit’, RNAS East Haven in November of that year. 769 was a carrier landing training squadron. In January 1944 DP872 suffered an undercarriage collapse, piloted by S/Lt RB Walker RN.
On 29 August 1944, DP872 took off from RNAS Maydown to return to RNAS East Haven, but spun into Blackhead Moss near Enagh Lough, Waterside, Londonderry, 5 miles from the airfield. The crew of 3 were all killed.
In 1971 a combined team from RNAS Yeovilton and 63 HQ Sqdn RE recovered the aircraft and the crew's remains: S/Lt Dennis Herbert Oxby RNVR, aged 19, S/Lt Frederick Robertson Dobbie RNVR, aged 20 and Leading Airman Derek Albert Thomas Mew RN, aged 19. After their recovery, they were buried together in Faughanvale (St Canice) Church of Ireland churchyard in Eglinton, Londonderry.
Other crashed Barracudas which may provide parts for the reconstruction are: LS931, DR306, MD953 and PM870.
Picture added on 27 September 2013 at 07:48