Handley Page Hastings T.5 TG517
A very long term resident of Newark Air Museum, having arrived on 22 June 1977 and flown in by Sqn Ldr "Jacko" Jackson at only 4 hours notice. TG517 was originally the 19th Hastings C.1 to be produced and was delivered to 5 MU Kemble on 13 July 1948. It served with both 47 and 53 Squadrons, participating in the Berlin Airlift in 1948 while with 47 Sqn.
On 13 October 1950 it returned to the Handley Page works at Radlett for conversion to the Hastings MET.1 variant. Now fitted with special weather reconnaissance equipment TG517 served with 202 Sqn at RAF Aldergrove, Northern Ireland, until 1958.
This aircraft was one of 8 Hastings converted to T.5 standard in 1959, with a large ventral dome containing radar bomb-sight equipment. The RAF Bombing School was its new home, at RAF Lindholme, until 1968. After this, the last operations flown by this Hastings were from RAF SCampton with 230 OCU and 1066 Sqn, including four fishery protection sorties during the Icelandic "Cod War".
Picture added on 04 January 2008